Holographic images for brand protection and document authentication
Holographic images have been in use to protect security documents since the beginning of the 80’s. They were first used to protect MasterCard and VISA credit cards. The first holographic company was established in USA and later in Europe. For the last 20 years holography became a powerful industry. Many new companies specialized in security holography and packaging appear in America, Asia and Europe.
The reasons for using holograms and holographic products:
1. Security: Hologram images are impossible to copy or imitate by traditional printing equipment. Holograms are easily recognizable by the end user. Additional tricks like micro text, hidden images and other security features make them a unique optical security device.
2. Promotional effect: Holograms have an attractive appearance and are eye-catching. There is an advertising effect if a name or a logo is on the hologram. Holograms make the goods look more luxury and expensive. Customers usually trust in products with holograms.
3. Cost: When purchased in large quantities, security holograms are a cost-effective method of adding an overt authentication device to an item.
Nowadays security holography develops mainly in the following directions:
1. High Security Applications – Banknote and Document protection, lottery tickets, retail vouchers, tax stamps, personal documents (passports, visas, ID cards, driving licenses, diplomas), vehicle registration, credit cards, phone cards, checques, transport and insurance documents, certificates.
2. Brand Authentication and promotion – Alcohol and tobacco products, pharmacy, drugs, foods, fashion wear, sport goods, spare parts, jewelry, watches, mobile phones, electrical and electronic components, toys, audio and video, software.